Sonnet XXX

When to the sessions of sweet silent thought
I summon up remembrance of things past,
I sigh the lack of many a thing I sought,
And with old woes new wail my dear time's waste.

Then can I drown an eye, unused to flow,
For precious friends hid in death's dateless night,
And weep afresh love's long since canceled woe,
And moan the expense of many a vanished sight.

Then can I grieve at grievances foregone,
And heavily from woe to woe tell o'er
The sad account of fore-bemoaned moan,
Which I new pay as if not paid before.

But if the while I think on thee, dear friend,
All losses are restor'd and sorrows end.


- William Shakespeare, Shakespeare's Sonnets

This was the poem I recited to my husband on Valentine's day two years ago -- thus my own Brigid tradition continues. Once again, I learned alot while memorizing it. I love how this poem ends, as I'm always a sucker for good endings.

There are many online analyses of Shakespeare's sonnets. For more on this particular sonnet, see here or here.

Why a poem today? It's the Thid Annual Blogger's Poetry Reading in honor of the Feast of Brigid and Groundhog's Day. Here's to hoping he doesn't see his shadow!

And did I remember on my own this year? No. I was reminded by this lovely poem on ispindle's blog. Not to worry, this year's Valentine's poem is already memorized ... you'll see it here in 2010 :-)

1 comment:

Abby Franquemont said...

Hey, did you know you make my day? It's true. You can see more at my blog, and if you're so inclined, name your own list of bloggers who make your day.