How can I spin "hairy" yarn?


There's a type of yarn/spinning called lock spinning or
tail spinning; the idea is to start with washed locks,
and that you end up with yarn with "curls" coming out all
over it.

I've done this two ways: with short-staple kid mohair locks,
I took a fine yarn singles and while plying the fine yarn,
"inserted" the mohair locks as I went. The plying yarn grabbed
them and held them, and since my hands were busy with the
plying, the tendency to want to smooth them was stifled -- mostly.

Or with just locks, take the locks at the cut end, hit that end
with a flicker to open it up, then draft from there; you keep
adding locks, and you have to _let_go_ of each lock when there's
1/2 to 1 inch left of curl -- let it run free of the singles you are spinning.
You can either ply this on itself (for a fairly bulky yarn) or ply it
with thread. Usually mine is pretty highly twisted, so I don't want
to leave it as singles.

(posted without picture by me on Spindlers this day)