How do you set the twist in singles yarn?

Set the twist in your singles as you would for a plied yarn:

Wind the yarn around a niddy-noddy (or your arm, or the back of a chair -- whatever's handy) and put 4 figure-8 ties evenly spaced around it; more if you are worried about it getting messed up, such as with a very fine, high-twist yarn. (A figure 8 tie is just that -- make a figure eight with your tie-yarn around and through the width of the spun yarn -- effectively this makes it into two joined bundles at the figure 8.) Remove the skein from the niddy, arm, or chair.

Fill a sink with warm water and a little wool wash (or dish liquid or shampoo). Put the skein in -- don't agitate. Let it sit 20 minutes.

Take out the skein, squeeze the soapy water out of it, empty the sink. Refill the sink with the same temp water and _no_ soap. Put the skein in that for 20 minutes (to rinse-soak). If needed, repeat the rinse.

I roll my skeins in a towel when I'm all done and squeeze them well, to get out as much water as I can. There's also "wuzzing" ... where you whir the skein around in a circle while holding tight to it.

Then hang the skein to dry. If you don't want it to curl (for singles), you might need to weight it -- I usually just put a handtowel through the lower part unless it's very high twist, then I resort to soup cans.

Whew. All that said, I did that with a very high twist single recently and still found it was twisty. So I steamed it -- in the steam from a boiling tea kettle -- it still didn't settle down completely, so now I have it wound tight onto a niddy noddy to set the twist that way. May take a month or so, but it should calm down eventually. Since it's part of a year-long study group, I don't mind waiting!

(posted by me this day on spindlers)

2 comments:

the Lady said...

Thank you so much, Amelia, for this tutorial! I'm a beginning spinner and have been curious about setting the twist for singles (I love the look of Malabrigo yarn) This post did the trick.

the Lady said...

Thank you so much, Amelia, for this tutorial! I'm a beginning spinner and have been curious about setting the twist for singles (I love the look of Malabrigo yarn) This post did the trick.