Trying something new ...

origami bagBy Amelia © October 18, 2010

After weaving about 10 scarves ... and more each time a gift is needed, happily! ... I've tried something new .. things to sew out of strips or squares.

First I made a neat tote, and more recently I've learned to sew the fun drawstring-purse shown here. My practice one is sewn from a spare bandana ... the next will be from handwoven. I may even experiment with double weave to get a wider length of fabric; or sew up two strips into wider piece.

Do you weave yet? If not, I have an online class at weavolution.com starting this Wednesday, October 20, 2010, Weave Now: Basic Rigid Heddle Weaving. We'll start with some basic planning and tool discussion, and in 5 sessions will cover warping, weaving, and finishing a scarf.

A new session of this class is starting in January 2011 ... sign up here: http://weavolution.com/node/16121.

And if you already weave on a rigid heddle but are interested to try out some two-heddle methods, there's a Weavolution.com class for you, too, on November 7, 2010 Two Heddle Twill. We'll warp our heddles for a 1/2 twill and weave some bookmarks or keyfobs.

I have new classes coming in January 2011 as well .. check the Cyber Fiber class list here: http://weavolution.com/classes and my own calendar, of all classes local, online, and at conferences, here: http://www.thebellwether.com/calendar.html .

That's not all -- Claudia, founder and admin for Weavolution has arranged all sorts of fun classes with a bevy of great weaving teachers. The full list is here.

~~~~

For the local people, I am offering two holiday classes at A Dropped Stitch in Sequim, Washington: On October 30, 2010, Weave a Scarf in a Day. On November 6, 2010, Braid a Wool Chair Pad. See The Bellwether's Calendar for details.

If you have a class you'd like to see me offer, let me know. I teach locally, at area guilds and shows, and now ... something new! ... online, at Weavolution.com.

~~~~
Edited December 1, 2010 to add news of upcoming classes ...

© October 18, 2010 by Ask The Bellwether, posted at http://askthebellwether.com/blog

3 comments:

ChelleC said...

Ah I wish I'd seen this earlier. You have already started up this class but the next time you do a beginner's rigid heddle class, give me a shout. I have a Cricket sitting in the closet waiting for me to learn. Hmmm.

ChelleC said...

Amelia, do you think you'll offer this again in January maybe?

Amelia of Ask The Bellwether said...

Glad you found it :-) yes, the class is coming again in January 2011, Wednesday evenings again, starting January 19th. Sign-ups are handled on Weavolution here: http://weavolution.com/node/16121