The finer a fiber is, the easier it is to spin a finer yarn. It's like our hands are taking inventory of the fibers - 12 Wensleydale fibers are going to make a noticably thicker yarn than 12 cashmere fibers!
I had the good fortune to have a llama (see What Begins with L? with fiber with a micron count of 18 - as an adult llama! Truly scrumptious.If you want to read about wool and alpaca micron count in detail, I can recommend this blog post from Thread Collective: Understanding the Micron Count of Wool Yarns and Fibres
Other fun M's: Mohair (discussed in What advice do you have for spinning Mohair?), Merino (ahhh the softest wool breed), mordant (how we prepare fibers so dye will attach)
What's the finest fiber you've spun? I'm told Sea Island cotton is the finest of the cottons, so I'm going stash diving this afternoon!
Do you have an M to add to our spinner's alphabet?
~~~~
© July 27, 2026 by Ask The Bellwether, posted at http://askthebellwether.com/


No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for your comments. They are moderated to prevent spamming, so it may be up to a day before they appear.