What are your fiber hobbies?

When I was a child, I loved to sew, knit, crochet, and do anything 70's-crafty. Embroidery, cross-stitch, needlepoint, paint-by-number, and ended up with horses (thanks, Mom!) and even 4-H sheep! To this day my Dad won't give up his macrame wall-hanging with a macrame owl in it.

Got really busy in computers in college and professionally, but eventually returned to ... gardening, knitting, a touch of crochet. Then I discovered spinning! Wow! spinning, felting (needle and wet), dyeing, fiber processing, nalbinding, sock machines, weaving, kumihimo, you name it I love it. I try everything! But I keep coming back to fiber processing, spinning, and knitting (especially with those sock machines) as my trinity. I'd love to dye and weave more, just there aren't enough hours in the day for my fibery pursuits.

I suppose I could "give up" the sourdough starter and its upkeep, but we do love the bread and English Muffins, not to mention the occasional carrot cake it turns out!

It's a fine balance, and I'm always interested to see how the next new thing will impact it.

(posted by me on LoopyEwe's blog this day)

What about you? Are you primarily a spinner, a knitter, a dyer, a weaver? What path brought you there -- what else have you tried?

No comments: